Pages

~ Italian Wedding Soup ~

So the other day I didn't have ANY lunch leftovers for work. All I had was soup. So I pulled this bad boy out.




When I buy soup I'm all about what is in the picture. I'm not a fan of celery or onions. Yes, I know... they are cooked soft... who cares... don't like it!  Unless they are SUPER fine (which I did in this recipe)..... which never happens.

Anyway... I had this, LOVED IT!

I found the recipe on Food Network which I added and changed a few things.  The recipe called for endive. What in the world is that?!?!  First time I've ever heard of it.  And of course if you think Walmart carries this, you're sadly mistaken!  So when I went to the store to get ingredients I looked at the Progresso can, it said it had Spinach in it, so that's what I did.  Also, the recipe didn't call for any noodles/pasta. Well I added my own in. So below is MY version of the recipe. Then below that are my thoughts on what I would do different.

For the meatballs:
1 small onion, grated
1/3 cup chopped Italian parsley
1 egg
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1 teaspoon salt
1 slice fresh white bread, crust trimmed, bread torn into small pieces
1/2 cup grated Parmesan
8 ounces ground beef
8 ounces ground pork
Pepper
 
For the soup:
12 cups low-sodium chicken broth
1 package of the thawed chopped Spinach (Kroger)
2 eggs
2 tablespoon freshly grated Parmesan
1 Box of Ditalini
Salt and pepper

To make the meatballs you'll stir in a large bowl the onion, Italian Parsley, egg, garlic, salt, and the bread. Then you'll stir in the cheese, beef, and pork.  You'll then shape each meatball to roughly 1 inch diameter.  Then place on a baking sheet. 
 





 
 
 
I started cooking the Ditalini here, just follow the directions on the box.  

Now for the soup.  Bring the chicken broth to a boil in a large pot.  Add the meatballs to the broth until they are cooked thoroughly, about 8 minutes.  No worries, they won't break apart, I was so worried they would!!!  Mine actually started floating when they were done. 
 
 
 
Add your Spinach (make sure you've followed the directions on how to "ring it out").  
 
 
 
Whisk the 2 eggs you have left and cheese into a bowl to blend.  Stir slowly into the soup in a circular motion.  I then added my cooked (drained) Ditalini. Then the salt and pepper to taste.
 
 
The picture seriously doesn't do it justice.  I was just too hungry to get a good one. When I do it again, I'll be sure to take another picture and change this one!  And maybe not so much broth so you can see the goods. Blogger fail, I know!!! 

This makes probably enough for 8 good bowls. 
 
Now on to what I would do different:
  • I would have added some spice to my meatballs or exchanged the pork with Italian sausage.
  • My meatballs would have been a little smaller. I had to cut most of them in half to eat.
  • I'm a soupy person so after like 3 bowls, the soup part was almost gone. So either I would have used less pasta or more chicken broth.  




 




 photo tawnysiggy_zps35e4128e.png

2 comments:

  1. YUM! I can't wait to try this out! Thanks for sharing, you can never have to many new recipes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Making this next week, I think. I want to anyway. It's supposed to rain/snow one of these days so I need to go get the ingredients!

    ReplyDelete

Reading comments motivates me to write more awesome stuff, not to mention makes my DAY! ♥ I always respond (via email) to EVERY comment posted!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...